The chapel has been sympathetically restored, this included re-instating one of the two west windows.
In the 1070s St Margaret’s Chapel was built on Magdalene Street, originally as a hospital and later as almshouses for the poor. The building dates from 1444. The roof of the hall is thought to have been removed after the Dissolution, and some of the building was demolished in the 1960s. It is Grade II* listed, and a Scheduled ancient monument.
The chapel has features dating to the 13th and 15th centuries although the lancet window at the East end may be earlier. The chapel is sited slightly off-centre in relation to the almshouses. The chapel was completely restored in 2012.
There used to be a dining room to the left of the chapel – part of the archway still stands (see above). There was also access for the monks to and from the Abbey across the top of the town gateway which once spanned Magdalene road.
The chapel is open daily for prayer, quiet and contemplation. There are two new icons, of St Margaret and Mary Magdalene inside the chapel. Margaret of Scotland and her heir, King David gave money to establish a number of [Magdalene] chapels associated with Abbey’s in England.